We are a group of concerned and involved citizens of Providence and Rhode Island. Our mission is to enhance Providence and its quality of life. We believe that the Fane Proposal / 38 Tower is not appropriate for the city of Providence.
Our group is for sensible economic development, We are opposed to something incredibly ugly and out of place. We are in favor of something harmonious, in keeping with the existing architectural aesthetic and providing meaningful jobs.
Why the citizens of Providence and Rhode Island
say NO to 38 Tower...
- Steals part of a public park
- Blocks access and views of park, bridge, river, River Walk and City Walk
- Shadows cover park and bridge during afternoon hours.
- Definition – Zoning one parcel differently from the surrounding area for the sole benefit of one person or company.
- Justified due to compelling reasons only, like public safety (flood control)
- Often found illegal, but not always.
- Opens doors for buildings of a similar height across the city, including your neighborhood).
- Luxury housing by rich New Yorkers subsidized by the Providence and Rhode Island tax payer
- Does not meet the needs of the citizens of Providence
- I-195's mission and most subsidies have been put in place to create jobs, this is not a jobs creator
- Limited permanent jobs (10 – 15) added
Impact on our city
- Hides our new park and pedestrian bridge, limiting public use.
- Does not respect our city’s existing architecture.
- Too high and too ugly, this is not New York or Dubai.
- Opens entire city to too tall and too ugly buildings due to spot zone precedent (including your neighborhood)